Cuningham is an award-winning architecture firm with 6 offices nationally seeking a Project Architect or architectural Team Leader level professional (licensed/non-licensed) in our Phoenix office. We strive for excellence by aligning the skills, and talents of a diverse group of people. Our team approach creates an energizing and empowering work culture where dynamic, self-motivated individuals thrive in pursuit of the same goal: great design. We can genuinely say that we love what we do and foster an environment where we have fun doing it!
This role will be responsible for drawings, specifications, and approval of materials and construction. Successful candidates will plan and develop projects not only internally with the design team but also externally with the coordination of the consultants. They will lead and supervise portions of design, technical, and production, apply sound and diverse knowledge of architectural principles and practices, and act independently regarding architectural methods and complexities.
This role requires eight or more years of architectural experience, preferably in healthcare-based project types. What you will do
What we look for
- Integrate your design and technical skills and expertise to deliver fully coordinated construction document sets through a team-based approach.
- Be responsible for the development and coordination of drawings and specifications, code and agency compliance building performance and constructability with an understanding of related cost.
- Communicate the technical implications of design decisions to the team and client.
- Coordinate directly with clients, project consultants, and local jurisdictions to develop full and coordinated construction documents and specifications.
- Provide clear team leadership, mentorship. Oversee and provide regular, timely direction to project team members, with additional attention given to those with the least experience and/or expertise.
- Plan work by preparing cartoon drawing sets and/or storyboards to outline tasks, deliverables, and work with project managers to develop critical path decision-making for the scope of the project.
- In collaboration with the project manager and project designer, determine the appropriate deliverable structure and necessary tasks for assessing each project's level of completion through an earned value assessment.
- Assist the project manager in preparation of project staffing plans, fee, budget, and schedule.
- Understand the fundamental relationships and contractual obligations between the Architect, Consultants, Owner, and Contractor.
- Demonstrate strong problem-solving skills by using critical thinking to evaluate problems, alerting others to potential problems in a timely manner.
- Review development of documents and participate in company quality assurance/quality control activities, as well as incorporate feedback from the project manager and project designer related to development of projects.
- Collaborate with integrated project teams including owners, general contractors, trade partners, equipment vendors, etc.
- Professional degree (bachelor's or higher) in architecture
- 8+ years of overall industry experience, healthcare experience preferred, and successful completion of at least two projects in the role of project architect or comparable.
- Able to perform the duties, handle the responsibilities, and have the knowledge, skills, and qualifications of a project architect, with demonstrated repeated success in doing so.
- Has strong design and architecture sensibilities and can participate in design reviews and promote design continuity throughout the life of a project.
- Understanding of sustainable and regenerative design practices including a basic awareness of current certification programs such as Green Communities, LEED, WELL, etc.
- Capable of working well with others on the team, cross-office, and cross-functionally including collaborative work relationships with general contractors and trade partners.
- Active registration/license in at least one U.S. state is preferred.
- Proficiency in Revit Architecture and Bluebeam required. Proficiency in Enscape, Adobe Creative Suite, and BIM 360 preferred.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, including: clear and concise communication, active listening and observation as well as seek understanding of others' points of view looking at verbal and non-verbal cues to encourage open and honest discussions
- Knowledge of FGI Guidelines for Design and Construction of Hospitals and Outpatient Facilities, NFPA, and the International Building Code preferred
Cuningham is a recognized design leader dedicated to creating enduring experiences for a healthy world. Starting a career at Cuningham means joining a team dedicated to projects that matter. With dynamic clients across 20+ markets, our firm is committed to environmentally sustainable and solutions-oriented design. Our creative, interdisciplinary teams cultivate the engagement of a smaller studio while providing the resources and nimbleness of a global firm - and we do it all in work environments that enable everyone to feel welcome and heard.
Cuningham Group provides equal employment and affirmative action opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability.
Cuningham Group is a federal contractor or subcontractor subject to certain governmental recordkeeping and reporting requirements for the administration of civil right laws and regulations. Employment decisions are made on the basis of job-related criteria without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, national origin, disability, military, or veteran status, or any other classification protected by applicable law.