Stanley Consultants is currently seeking a Civil Engineer to focus primarily on DoD programs in our Guam office, throughout the Western Pacific and the Asia-Pacific region. This position will perform civil engineering design duties which will include pavements (roads, streets, airfields), fencing, drainage, site development, and utilities. Project deliverables will include performing charrettes, producing planning and programming documents, design analyses, calculations, plans, specifications, design-build requests for proposal (DB RFPs) and cost estimates. Responsibilities will also include coordination of topographic, geotechnical, subsurface, and hazardous materials surveys, and cost estimating, as required. Project delivery types will include full Design-Bid-Build and Design-Build.
The position will report to Barb Veal within the Federal Market. The successful candidate will exercise engineering judgment in evaluating, selecting, and applying design techniques, procedures, and criteria to make design decisions and modifications. The position will potentially lead a design team with responsibility for delegating work tasks, managing the project schedule and budget, and ensuring proper design coordination among the team including other technical disciplines.
Work will primarily be on projects for the Federal government, but may also include state, local, commercial and institutional clients. Design criteria, codes and standards may include both domestic and international requirements. International Travel will be required in association with projects to perform site visits, design review conferences, and construction phase inspections.
- Determines client requirements by reviewing statements of work, programming documents, and study reports and participating in planning charrettes.
- Plans, organizes and recommends resource requirements to meet client requirements and objectives.
- Assists in the coordination of pricing, estimating, scoping and marketing strategies for proposed projects.
- Prepares statements of work and coordinates execution of field survey requirements.
- Performs technical design including project planning, programming, design charrettes, concept designs, design analysis, calculations, plans, specifications, and DB RFPs.
- Assists the cost estimating and scheduling team in preparing project construction cost estimates, schedules, and phasing requirements.
- Performs or coordinates special studies and reports including traffic, geotechnical, hydrologic, drainage, and environmental studies.
- Prepares alternative design solutions and participates in value engineering studies. Performs life cycle cost analysis, if required.
- Participates in design review conferences and addresses client and stakeholder comments.
- Performs construction bidding support and construction phase services including submittal review, change proposal review, and on-site inspection as required.
- Consults with construction personnel concerning design constructability as related to field conditions, sequencing and scheduling of construction activities.
- Attends onsite and offsite client meetings. Domestic and international travel will be required.
Skills, education and experience:
- Bachelors of Science in Civil engineering from an accredited four-year college or university required.
- Minimum of 10 years relevant experience required, including a minimum of 5 years of Federal project experience.
- Experience working on DoD projects, primarily NAVFAC is desired.
- Experience with Uniform Building Code (UBC), Department of Defense (DoD) Unified Facilities Criteria (UFC) and Unified Facilities Guide Specifications (UFGS) is desired.
- Proficiency in utilizing various computer software packages and automated engineering and design equipment preferred.
- Knowledge of Autodesk Civil 3D software and tools for the development of site civil grading, corridor models, sections/section views, and general civil paving and grading designs not required but a plus.
- Microstation/ Open Roads skills are not required but are a plus.
- Experience incorporating sustainable design principles into site planning and design process is required.
- Ability to perform as part of a Design Charrette team.
- Ability to work in multi-office, multi-discipline team environment.
- PE registration/license in Guam, or ability to obtain.
- Credentialing related to Sustainable Design not required, but is a plus (LEED, GBCI, ENV SP Cert)
Future potential for professional growth in:
- Technical expertise and credentialing
- Project Management
- Operations Management
- Business Development